Two listservs, one for faculty and one for staff, are available for exchanging scientific ideas and making inquiries to the University of Michigan Medical School research community regarding scientific protocols, resources, expertise, and potential collaborators. These two listservs were created and are managed by the Office of Research, and have been found to be valuable resources.
Users are limited to members, and any member may send a message. The listservs are moderated to ensure that members receive only messages related to research and our research environment.
Faculty Listserv: faculty-research-xchange
- The faculty-research-xchange is used for issues that are: a) relevant to a large number of members, b) related to research development or administration, and c) that are either particularly time sensitive or unlikely to be effectively communicated through another medium. An example is a PI trying to identify interested collaborators in a transdisciplinary funding opportunity. Seminars, workshops, and funding opportunities are not included, as other sites accommodate these activities.
- Membership is managed via a database, therefore Medical School research faculty are automatically included in the faculty-research-xchange.
- To send a message to the faculty-research-xchange, prepare the subject line and body of the email as you would like it to appear to the members of the listserv, and send the email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The email message will go to the moderator of the listserv who will then forward it to the group if appropriate.
- Faculty members also have the option to join the staff-research-xchange for other inquiries, e.g., resource sharing (see below).
Staff Listserv: staff-research-xchange
- The staff-research-xchange is used mainly by laboratory research project faculty and staff for issues regarding hands-on materials, equipment, procedures and analyses, e.g., recommendations for a vendor; share extra resources; ask for advice regarding materials.
- Membership is managed via an opt-in MCommunity group called staff-research-xchange. Instructions for joining or leaving an MCommunity group can be found here: https://wiki.umms.med.umich.edu/x/eJoCBw
- To send a message to the staff-research-xchange, prepare the subject line and body of the email as you would like it to appear to the members of the listserv, and send the email to email@example.com. The email message will go to the moderator of the listserv who will then forward it to the group if appropriate.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or comments.