The Sample Preservation Freezer Facility allows researchers to archive small quantities of irreplaceable research specimens in case of a disastrous loss of material at the investigator’s primary storage site. Providing secure, long-term storage, the Freezer Facility comprises -80°C freezers with emergency backup power. The site and each individual freezer is locked, and protected by an alarm system.
- Dedicated site with an emergency backup power generator; a separate cooling system is also tied in to the backup generator.
- Backup freezer(s) are kept cold to facilitate transfer of materials in the event of equipment failure.
- Locked entry to the site and separate locks for each individual freezer.
- The site is protected by an alarm system linked to the University’s Facilities Maintenance department.
- Restricted Access limited to the Principal Investigator or designee, and only when escorted by BRCF staff.
To learn more, download the Sample Preservation Freezer Facility information sheet.