Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How many fellows will be accepted in each cohort?
Two fellows will be selected to participate in each cohort.
When will I hear back from the review committee?
The selection committee will extend invitations for first-round Zoom interviews within one month of the application submission deadline. Second-round interviews will be held in-person at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor (travel and lodging expenses will be covered for non-local applicants). Final decisions will be communicated within two weeks after second-round interviews. Specific dates can be found on Competition Space.
When do I need to complete my Ph.D. or postdoctoral fellowship?
- Eligible applicants must be graduating doctoral students or current postdoctoral trainees in a biomedical or life science-related field.
- Current Ph.D. students must have completed all Ph.D. requirements by the start of the program, but doctoral degree conferral by the institution can be obtained after starting in the program.
- Current postdoctoral trainees must have completed all postdoctoral fellowship requirements by the start of the program.
Does this position require a background check/screening or drug test?
- As with all employees in the U-M Health System and Michigan Medicine, a background screening is required for fellowship employment. For more information on the policy for background screenings, visit U-M Human Resources.
- Pre-employment drug testing is also a requirement of the U-M Health System and Michigan Medicine for all selected candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer of employment/appointment and may use a third-party administrator to conduct the drug screening. For more information on the policy for drug testing, visit U-M Human Resources.
Does this position require any vaccinations?
As with all employees in the U-M Health System and Michigan Medicine, an annual flu vaccine and documentation of COVID-19 vaccination or permitted exemption is required for fellowship employment.
Does the ROMS Fellowship program sponsor international students for H1-B visas or green cards?
No, currently we do not sponsor international students or postdoctoral fellows for our fellowship program.
Is the fellowship a full-time job? What is the time commitment?
The fellowship is considered a full-time job/effort. Fellows cannot participate in additional postdoctoral training, other employment, or any other fellowships while participating in this program.
Is the fellowship a fully remote position?
No, we adhere to a hybrid model in which time is split between remote and in-office work. We require fellows to come to campus at least once per week.
When does the program start?
The program starts in early/mid-September of each year.
How should Letters of Recommendation be submitted?
The Letters of Recommendation are sent through the Competition Space system during the application process. Applicants will be asked to provide email addresses for those that they wish to submit on their behalf. Letter writers do not need to create a Competition Space account to submit their recommendations.