The University of Michigan Medical School Biomedical Research Council (BMRC) supports biomedical research and facilitates interdisciplinary research and training across the University. BMRC members serve as the primary appointment representatives for their departments, representing the Health Sciences Schools and Colleges and the Veterans Administration Medical Center.
The BMRC meets to discuss research issues and makes recommendations to the Medical School and University Administration on policies and practices to assist research investigators. This mission is supported through the following programs:
- The BMRC's Bridging Support funding program, which is available to basic science researchers in the Medical School
- The BMRC reviews the nominations for the Medical School’s Distinguished Faculty Lectureship Award in Biomedical Research and the Dean's Basic Science Research Award. For details on these awards, visit U-M Medical School Dean’s Award Program.
- The Council reviews applications to the internal competitions for prestigious Limited Submission awards and selects the institutional nominees.
The BMRC is headed by a chairperson and vice chairperson who serve one-year terms. At the end of their terms, the vice chair succeeds the chair and a new vice chair is selected from the current membership. BMRC members serve a three-year term.
- Gary Luker, M.D., Professor of Microbiology and Immunology, Professor of Radiology and Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Maria Castro, Ph.D., R.C. Schneider Collegiate Professor of Neurosurgery, Professor of Cell and Developmental Biology, Director of NIH Cancer Biology Training Grant
- Philip Andrews, Ph.D., Professor of Biological Chemistry, Professor of Computational Medicine and Bioinformatics, Medical School, Professor of Chemistry, LSA
- Justus Anumonwo, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Internal Medicine - Cardiovascular Medicine, Associate Professor of Molecular and Integrative Physiology
- Analisa DiFeo, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Pathology, Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Lana Garmire, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Computational Medicine and Bioinformatics
- Lisa Larkin, Ph.D., Professor of Molecular and Integrative Physiology, Research Associate Professor, Institute of Gerentology, and Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Daniel Lawrence, Ph.D., Frederick GL Huetwell Collegiate Professor of Basic Research in Cardiovascular Medicine, Professor of Internal Medicine-Cardiology, and Professor of Molecular & Integrative Physiology
- Jiandie Lin, Ph.D., Bradley M. Patten Collegiate Professor in the Life Sciences, Research Professor at U-M Life Sciences Institute, Professor of Cell and Developmental Biology
- Pedro Lowenstein, M.D., Ph.D., Richard Schneider Collegiate Professor, Professor of Neurosurgery and Professor of Cell and Developmental Biology, Medical School
- Ann Miller, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology
- Geoffrey Murphy, Ph.D., Associate Director, Neuroscience Graduate Program, Research Professor, Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute and Professor of Molecular & Integrative Physiology
- Dipankar Ray, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Radiation Oncology, Medical School, Adjunct Assistant Professor, Nuclear Engineering & Radiological Sciences, College of Engineering
- Liangyou Rui, Ph.D., Professor of Molecular and Integrative Physiology and Professor of Internal Medicine
- Ariella Shikanov, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Biomedical Engineering and Macromolecular Science and Engineering
- Alan Smrcka, Ph.D., Professor of Pharmacology, Medical School, Professor of Biophysics, LSA
- Peter Todd, M.D., Ph.D., Bucky and Patti Harris Career Development Professor of Neurology and Associate Professor of Neurology
- Steven L. Kunkel, Ph.D., Endowed Professor of Pathology Research, Professor of Pathology, Co-Director, Division of General Pathology, Executive Vice Dean of Research and Chief Scientific Officer, Medical School
- Paula Van Velden, Research Development, UMMS Office of Research