The University of Michigan Medical School Biomedical Research Council (BMRC) supports biomedical research and facilitates interdisciplinary research and training across the University. BMRC members serve as the primary appointment representatives for their departments, representing the Health Sciences Schools and Colleges and the Veterans Administration Medical Center.
The BMRC meets to discuss research issues and makes recommendations to the Medical School and University Administration on policies and practices to assist research investigators. This mission is supported through the following programs:
- The BMRC's Bridging Support funding program, which is available to basic science researchers in the Medical School
- The BMRC reviews the nominations for the Medical School’s Distinguished Faculty Lectureship Award in Biomedical Research and the Dean's Basic Science Research Award. For details on these awards, visit U-M Medical School Dean’s Award Program.
- The Council reviews applications to the internal competitions for prestigious Limited Submission awards and selects the institutional nominees.
The BMRC is headed by a chairperson and vice chairperson who serve one-year terms. At the end of their terms, the vice chair succeeds the chair and a new vice chair is selected from the current membership. BMRC members serve a three-year term.
- Liangyou Rui, Ph.D., Professor of Molecular and Integrative Physiology and Professor of Internal Medicine
- Mukesh Nyati, Ph.D., Professor of Radiation Oncology, Medical School
- Anuska Andjelkovic-Zochowska, Ph.D., Professor of Pathology and Research Professor, Neurosurgery, Medical School
- Philip Andrews, Ph.D., Professor of Biological Chemistry, Professor of Computational Medicine and Bioinformatics, Medical School, Professor of Chemistry, LSA
- Justus Anumonwo, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Internal Medicine - Cardiovascular Medicine, Associate Professor of Molecular and Integrative Physiology
- Sami Barmada, M.D., Ph.D. Angela Dobson Welch and Lyndon Welch Research Professor and Associate Professor of Neurology, Medical School
- Alan Boyle, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Computational Medicine and Bioinformatics and Associate Professor of Human Genetics, Medical School
- Cheri Deng, Ph.D., Professor of Biomedical Engineering and Professor of Mechanical Engineering, College of Engineering
- Roman Giger, Ph.D., Dr. Richard Mark Newman Research Professor of Cell and Developmental Biology, Professor of Cell and Developmental Biology, Professor of Neurology, Medical School
- Anna Kratz, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Medical School
- Yasmina Laouar, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Microbiology and Immunology, Medical School
- Jun Hee Lee, Ph.D., Associate Director Academic Programs, Molecular and Integrative Physiology, Associate Professor of Molecular and Integrative Physiology and Research Associate Professor, Institute of Gerontology, Medical School
- Pedro Lowenstein, M.D., Ph.D., Richard Schneider Collegiate Professor, Professor of Neurosurgery and Professor of Cell and Developmental Biology, Medical School
- Elif A Oral, M.D., Professor of Internal Medicine, Medical School
- Parag Patil, M.D., Ph.D., Associate Professor of Neurosurgery, Associate Professor of Anesthesiology, Associate Professor of Neurology, Medical School and Associate Professor of Biomedical Engineering, College of Engineering and Medical School
- Sem Hin Phan, Ph.D., M.D., Professor of Pathology, Medical School
- Steven L. Kunkel, Ph.D., Endowed Professor of Pathology Research, Professor of Pathology, Co-Director, Division of General Pathology, Executive Vice Dean of Research and Chief Scientific Officer, Medical School
- Karl Jepsen, Ph.D., Henry Ruppenthal Family Professor of Orthopaedic Sugery and Bioengineering, Associate Dean for Research, Professor Of Orthopaedic Surgery, Medical School and Professor of Biomedical Engineering, College of Engineering and Medicial School
- Paula Van Velden, Research Development, UMMS Office of Research